New Avenues Commitment to Equity:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. Historical inequities and intersecting forms of oppression such as racism, poverty, adultism, sexism, homophobia, and ableism, among others contribute to marginalization and exploitation of youth. We believe, to redress youth homelessness and housing instability we must challenge and dismantle racism and other forms of oppression and build relationships within our communities that advance equity.
At New Avenues, advancing equity is an ongoing commitment without closure. We remain open-minded and presume best intentions, knowing that discomfort and conflict are inevitable. We take risks and make and learn from our mistakes. We seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to silence hard truths.
About New Avenues for Youth:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. New Avenues works in partnership with the Portland community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 20th year serving youth.
The Employment Specialist will work with New Avenues PAVE job training program to support homeless and at-risk youth develop and follow through on employment, education, and personal goals. The Employment Specialist integrates the results of academic, life skills, and work readiness assessments to develop an individualized goal plan with youth. This position will also provide one-on-one services and support in order to help youth obtain and retain employment and complete education goals. As a part of the PAVE team, the Employment Specialist will help maintain a structured, supportive and safe milieu. In addition, the Employment Specialist will collaborate with staff across New Avenues in order to create a model that provides the most effective, comprehensive services for program youth.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred
- At least 2 years’ experience working with at-risk youth
- Workforce development experience preferred
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong organizational and detail-orientation skills
- Strong computer skills required
- Willingness and ability to drive company vehicle in order to transport clients to various community activities is required
- Ability to work with multicultural staff and youth
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
Skills & knowledge:
- Provide educational and vocational assessments to determine youth’s current skills and areas of growth.
- Develop an individualized youth service plan with youth’s input that is guided by the assessment results, for each youth enrolled in PAVE.
- Utilize traditional and non-traditional methods of education to engage youth in the program and identify school and work related goals and plans.
- Provide support and guidance to help youth expand work readiness skills, post-secondary readiness, and accomplish identified goals.
- Provide job support when needed to assist a youth in retaining employment
- Maintain regular bi-weekly to monthly contact with youth enrolled in PAVE.
- Facilitate individual and group opportunities for youth to further develop employment and post-secondary skills.
- Provide referral to other programs and services as needed.
- Maintain accurate and timely documentation of all services. Track youth participation in activities and document youth progress in these activities in accordance with performance reporting requirements using an electronic data collection system.
New Avenues for Youth offers a very generous benefits package. To apply, send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please be sure to include where you came across this opportunity in your response. You can learn more about New Avenues by visiting our website athttp://www.newavenues.org/contact-us/employment-opportunities. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.