Our Commitment to Equity:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. Historical inequities and intersecting forms of oppression such as racism, poverty, adultism, sexism, homophobia, and ableism, among others contribute to marginalization and exploitation of youth. We believe, to redress youth homelessness and housing instability we must challenge and dismantle racism and other forms of oppression and build relationships within our communities that advance equity.
At New Avenues, advancing equity is an ongoing commitment without closure. We remain open-minded and presume best intentions, knowing that discomfort and conflict are inevitable. We take risks and make and learn from our mistakes. We seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to silence hard truths.
About New Avenues for Youth:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. New Avenues works in partnership with the Portland area community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 20th year serving youth.
As a member of the New Avenues Executive Leadership Team, the Strategic Initiatives Director will report to the Executive Director and drive a number of youth service expansion projects. This includes multiple capital projects in addition to the implementation of, and providing ongoing leadership for, a large youth shelter care pilot. This position will be responsible for all facets of successful execution of these projects, includes strategic planning, tactical planning, budget development, supervision, monitoring, delegation, oversight, resource brokering, evaluation, and an ongoing focus on the continuous improvement process.
Required for Consideration:
- Minimum of three years of project management experience
- Demonstrated financial literacy – Ability to read a P&L, perform financial analysis, make decisions guided by financial data
- Prior experience with Compliance/Quality Assurance and the Continuous Improvement Process
- Minimum of two years of experience supervising staff
- Established experience with strategic writing (public/private grant writing, persuasive written communications etc.)
- As member of the Executive Leadership Team, a strong desire to lead agency’s equity work (equity planning & implementation, applying an equity lens to communication and decision making)
- Behavioral/mental health facility oversight experience a plus
Skills & Knowledge:
- Detail oriented; ability to track and organize large amount of data
- Proven inclusive leadership style and commitment to advancing equity
- Background with identification and vetting of business opportunities
- Expressed interest in developing and managing teams to support a positive team culture
- Adept at public speaking and presenting to diverse audiences
- Ability to identify ideal candidates for employment opportunities with New Avenues
- Knowhow to secure proper training and onboarding for new members of the New Avenues team
New Avenues for Youth offers a very generous benefits package. To apply, send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include where you came across this opportunity in your response. You can learn more about New Avenues by visiting our website at http://www.newavenues.org/contact-us/employment-opportunities. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.